You are Redirecting to our BRAND NEW WEBSITE...

General FAQs

Yes. Anybody can meet SP during the visiting hours from 4pm to 5pm on all working days.

Crime Branch

• Call telephone number 100 or Control Room at 02352-222222 / 271257
• Contact the nearest Police Station.
• Rush to the nearest Police Party or Checkpoint.

• Inform the police the numbers of the vehicles involved in it.
• Take the victim to the nearest hospital.
• Do not hesitate. You will be treated as a 'Police Friend'.

• Yes.
• Each of the 18 Police Stations has a Police Vehicle. For immediate action in emergencies call telephone numbers 100 or Control Room at 8888905022/ 8888506181 or 02352-222222 / 271257
• Four PI/API for Divisional in four mobiles
• One Dy.S.P. for district patrol.
• In addition day & night mobile patrol / beat marshal also deployed.

Arrest and Bail

As per Ballentine's Law Dictionary 1948 Ed.P.105, arrest means the taking, seizing, or detaining of the person of another, either by touching, or putting hands on him, or by any act which indicates an intention to take him into custody, and subjects the person arrested to the actual control and will of the person making the arrest. Chapter V and section 41 to 59 of Criminal Procedure Code 1973, deals with Arrest of Persons.

• As per section 41

(1) Cr.P.C, any police officer may, without an order from a Magistrate and without a warrant, arrest any person,
a) who has been concerned in any cognizable offence, or a reasonable complaint has been made, or credible information has been received or a reasonable suspicion exists; or
(b) who has in his possession of any implement of house breaking; or (c) who has been proclaimed as an offender or
(d) in whose possession anything is found which may reasonably be suspected to be stolen property; or
(e) who obstructs a police officer while in the execution of his duty, or who has escaped, or attempts to escape, from lawful custody;
(f) reasonably suspected of being a deserter from any of the Armed Forces.

• As per section 42 of Cr.P.C., any person who, in the presence of a police officer, has committed or has been accused of committing a non-cognizable offence, refuses on demand of such officer to give his name and residence, can be arrested.
• As per section 50 of Cr.P.C., person arrested without warrant has to be informed about the grounds of his arrest and about his entitlement regarding bail.
• As per section 53 of Cr.P.C., when a person is arrested and if there are reasonable grounds for believing that an examination of his person will afford evidence as to the commission of an offence, it shall be lawful for a registered medical practitioner, acting at the request of a police officer not below the rank of sub-inspector (and for any person acting in good faith in his aid and his direction), to make such an examination of a person arrested as is reasonably necessary, and to use such force as is reasonably necessary for that purpose. When a person of a female is to be examined under this section, the examination shall be made only by, or under the supervision of, a female registered medical practitioner.
• As per section 56 of Cr.P.C., A police officer making an arrest without warrant shall, without unnecessary delay and subject to the provisions herein contained as to bail, take or send the person arrested before a Magistrate having jurisdiction in the case or before the officer in-charge of a police station.
• As per section 57 of Cr.P.C., No police officer shall detain in custody a person arrested without warrant for a longer period than under all the circumstances of the case is reasonable, and such period shall not, in the absence of a special order of a Magistrate under section 167, exceed 24 hours exclusive of the time necessary for the journey from the place of arrest to the Magistrate's Court.
• As per section 151 of Cr.P.C., a person can also be arrested to prevent commission of cognizable offences.

• Under the Code of Criminal Procedure 1973 (first shedule), offences have been classified as ‘bailable’ and ‘non-bailable’ offences.
• In the case of bailable offences, it is binding upon the investigating officer to grant bail. However, in case of a non-bailable offence, the police cannot grant bail and bail can be granted by a Judicial Magistrate/Judge only.
• In case of bailable offences, if the accused produces proper surety, and fulfills other conditions, it is binding upon the Investigating officer to grant bail.
• In the case of a non-bailable offence, the Investigating Officer must produce the accused before the Judicial Magistrate / Judge concerned within 24 hours of his arrest. At that time, the accused has a right to apply for bail.

Externment & Preventive Detention

• As per section 55 of Maharshtra Police Act, 1951, if the movement or encampment of any gang or body of persons is causing or is calculated to cause danger or alarm or reasonable suspicion that unlawful designs are entertained by such gang, or by members thereof, then such gangs/ bodies of persons can be dispersed and ordered that they remove themselves outside the area. This is process is called externment of gangs and Sub Divisional Magistrates in Districts are empowered to pass such orders.
• Similarly, section 56 of Maharashtra Police Act, 1951 empowers the above named authorities to extern persons engaged in or about to be engaged in offences punishable under Ch XII - XVI – XVII I.P.C. .(for details, please refer sections 55-56 of Bombay Police Act, 1951 )
• When the executive officers charged with responsibility of maintaining law and order / Public order in their jurisdictions have reasons to believe that activities/ movements of a person are detrimental / prejudicial to maintaining public tranquillity and smooth flow of life, such authorities (C.P./D.M.) may authorize and order such a person to be detained under the various preventive detention laws.
• The commissioner of Police and the District Magistrate in areas under their respective charges may issue order in writing u/s 37 (3) of Bombay Police Act, 1951 for prohibiting any assembly or procession whenever and for so long as it consider such prohibition necessary for preservation of the public order. Such written order can also be issued for prohibiting the carrying of arms, swords, spears, guns, knives, sticks or lathis, or any other article, which is capable of being used for causing physical violence.

Prohibitory Orders

Prohibitory Orders refer to orders issued by competent authorities prohibiting certain things under various Acts viz,, Bombay Police Act, 1951, Cr.P.C. etc. Prohibitory Orders are issued by C.P. / D.M. under section 37 of B. P. Act 1951. Such orders are valid for a term of 15 days (at a time) and are renewed by the competent issuing authorities from time to time.
• Prohibitory orders under section 37 referred to above are issued to prohibit :
a) assembly of 5 or more persons,
b) Processions of any kind,
c) Use of loudspeakers, amplifying instruments, musical band and bursting of crackers,
d) Carrying of arms, cudgels, sticks or lathis, swords, spears, knives, unlicenced guns or any other articles capable of being used for causing physical harm or violence,
e) Carrying of any corrosive substance or explosive, or carrying or colleting projectlites like stones or other instrument which can be used to cause harm or violence,
f) Exhibition of effigies, corpses, or figures/figurines, public utterances / loud cries, singing of songs, playing of music,delivery of harangues, use of gestures or mimetic representation, exhibition or dessimination of pictures, symbols,placards or any other objects / things that may, in the opinion of any police, offend decency/morality or undermine the security of, or tend to overthrow the State
• Section 135 of M.P. Act 1951 provides for penal action for such contravention.


• "Passport" is an official document, issued by competent authority on behalf of a sovereign nation state, certifying the holders identity and nationality, & authorizing the holder to travel abroad.
• Passport application forms are available at Regional Passport Offices. They are also available at
1. Fresh Passport ( 36 pages ) of 10 years validity- Rs. 1,000.
2. Fresh Passport ( 60 pages ) of 10 years validity - Rs. 1,500.
3. Fresh Passport for Minors ( Below 15 years of Age ) of 5 years validity - Rs.600 (Cash either by Bank Draft in favour of the Passport Office or in Cash. In case of D.D. full name of the applicant and application number to be written on the reverse of the draft.)
• A complaint should be lodged with the concerned local police station and thereafter, an application for a new passport should be submitted.
• The verification procedure takes about 3 weeks from the receipt of the application.
• Attach two copies of the following documents:
1.Applicant's Ration Card or any of the following documents.
a) Telephone Bill.
b) Electricity Bill.
c) Bank Account Passbook.
d) Election Card.
e) Letter from the Society on letterhead.
f) NOC from the department if applicant is a Government servant.
2. Proof of date of birth : School leaving certificate / Birth certificate.
3. Citizenship documents (If applicant is citizen of India by registration or naturalization).
4. If the applicant does not reside at the present address for the last one year, an additional set of personal particulars form for each additional place of residence is required.
5. Colour Photographs (frontal view).
6. Two photographs are required for verification at the local police station.
• Attach following additional documents :-
a) Affidavit by legal guardian (if parents are not legal guardians).
b) Affidavit by two responsible persons who know the legal guardian as well as the minor.
c) Attested photocopy of passport if any, of both parents, incorporating their present marital status.
• a) A woman applying for the first time for a passport in her married name or for change of name/surname in the existing passport on account of marriage should furnish:
i) A photocopy of the husband's passport (if issued to him).
ii) An attested copy of the marriage certificate issued by Registrar of Marriages or an affidavit from the husband and wife along with a joint photograph.
b) Divorcees applying for change of name or deletion of spouse's name in existing passport must furnish:
i) Divorce deed / Order of family court.
ii) Affidavit furnishing details about divorce.
c) Re-married applicants applying for a change of name/spouse's name should furnish:
i) Divorce/death certificate as the case may be in respect of first spouse, and
ii) Documents as (a) above relating to second marriage.
a) People going abroad in managerial capacity and possessing specialized degrees in their respective fields.
b) All Gazetted Government servants.
c) All Income-Tax payers (including Agricultural Income-Tax Payees) in their individual capacity. I.T. assessment orders issued by Income-Tax Dept. for last three years be submitted along with application for passport. If assessment order is not issued, copies of Income Tax Return stamped by Income Tax authority can be accepted.
d) All professional degree holders, such as doctors holding M.B.B.S. degree in Ayurveda or Homoeopathy, accredited Journalists, Engineers, Chartered Accountants, Cost Accountants, Lecturers, Teachers, Scientists, Advocates etc.
e) Spouses and dependent children up to the age of 24 years are listed from (b) to (d).
f) All persons who have been staying abroad for more than 3 years
g) Seamen who are in possession of CDC or C cadets.
h) All holders of Diplomatic/Official passports.
i) Dependent children of parents whose passports are classified as E.C.N.R. until they attain 24 years of age.
j) Persons holding permanent Immigrant Visas.
k) Persons holding Graduate or higher degrees.
l) Persons holding 3 years diploma equivalent to degrees.
m) Nurses possessing qualifications recognized under the Indian Nursing Council Act-1947.
n) All persons above the age of 60 years Note- No emigration clearance is required for visiting Bangladesh, Pakistan and all countries of Europe (Excluding C.I.S. States ), North America, Australia, Japan and New Zealand.
o) No emigration clearance is required for persons possessing certificate of Vocational Training from the Government/ Government recognized institutions.
• VISA refers to an endorsement (writing or branding) on the passport, made by competent authority of a nation State, allowing entry to the passport holder into another country. VISA is necessary for entry into another country.

Use of loudspeaker at public meetings / processions

• Yes. You should obtain permission from concerned C.P/ S.P./ District Magistrate for sound amplification under rules made under sec 33 of M.P.Act, 1951. Such a permission is required to be taken for private/ public functions held in private / public places.
• Yes. You have to obtain a temporary performance licence from concerned licensing authority (C.P./D.M.).
• Yes. You have to obtain a temporary performance/premises licence from concerned licensing authority (C.P./D.M.).
• Yes. You need to take permission for taking out a morcha/ dharna/ organising public meeting or rallies from concerned Superintendent of Police or District Magistrate.
• Yes, you need to take licence for consumption / possession of Liquor from concerned Commissioner of Police or District Magistrate
• Noise pollution means the disturbance produced in environment by undesirable sounds of various kinds.
• a) Noise as nuisance and health hazard to human beings and other living things
b) Hearing loss
c) Interference with communication
d) Disturbance of sleep
e) Annoyance
f) Adverse effect on performance
g) Physiological effects
h) Accentuated effects on urban children, sick & elderly people under recuperation.
• Noise level in a public place shall not exceed 10 dB(A) above the ambient noise standard for the area or 75bB(A) whichever is lower. No horn should be allowed to be used at night (between 10.00 p.m. and 06.00 a.m.) in residential area except in exceptional circumstances. Crackers should not be burst between the above mentioned time slot.

Hotel Licence

• Yes. Certificate of Registration from concerned District Magistrate.
• An application should be submitted to the concerned District Magistrate for obtaining Registration Certificate.
• These licences are issued by the Excise Department.

Arms Licence

• By submitting an application in form 'A' with Rs. 5/- Court fees stamp at District Magistrate office.
• About 2 months after the application is submitted (provided all the doccuments are in order)
• The application form is available in the District Magistrate office . Submit it with relevant documents to the concerned District Magistrate office. Then DM office send this application to SP office for further police verification. Police station makes an enquiry and submits the report to the SP. Then SP office send detail report to DM office. Once convinced, the licensing authority (DM)issues the licence.
• 1. Copy of Ration card
2. Election card
3. Last 3 year's I.T. Returns /chalan copy/assessment orders
4. Two character certificates from the responsible citizens from your locality
5. Physical fitness certificate
6. Proof of Educational Qualifications (self attested copies of certificates. Original should not be submitted along with application).
7. Proof of age (Birth Certificate/school leaving certificate)
8. Supporting documents to justify the need for holding the arm for security or for sports etc.
• Licence should fill-in the renewal form and affix Rs. 5/- Court fees stamp there upon. The licence should produce his weapon and licence for inspection at the time of renewal and pay the renewal fees. Renewal will be done immediately and the necessary noting about renewal will be made in the licence.
• Fill up the renewal from, produce the weapon for inspection along with the licence. You have to pay late fee and thereafter, the licence will be renewed on satisfaction of the issuing authority about the delay.
• Produce the weapon for inspection before the licensing authority along with the renewal form. Submit your explanation for the delay preferably with the documentary support for the same. You will be issued with a Show Cause Notice. Submit your reply within 15 days. The issue will be decided by the licensing authority on merits of the case, and the decision will be communicated to you by letter, through the concerned Police station.
• 1. Deposit the weapon at the nearest Police station
2. Obtain receipt for the same
3. Fill up the renewal form as an agent of the licence holder and submit the same.
4. When the licence holder returns, direct him to the office of licensing authority for renewal of his arms licence, as explained above.
• 1.Submit an application as per the format (TJP - Temporary Journey Permit) with Rs. 5/- Court Fees Stamp.
2. Attach a copy of the licence.
3. Next day, pay a fee of Rs. 20/-. If approved, your TJP will be issued on the next day.
4. TJP is valid only for 30 days and is subject to local restrictions imposed by the local authority
• Licence for property protection is granted on Per-Pro basis. The procedure is same as that of obtaining a new licence.
• 1. You have to deposit the weapon and the original licence (with ammunition) for safe custody at the nearest police station. A safe custody receipt will be issued to you.
2. If you want to retain the weapon, submit your application for a new arms licence in form 'A'
3. Attach copy of death certificate with application.
4. The weapon can be kept in safe custody for one year. Charges for safe custody are @ Rs.50/- per year.
5. Procedure for issuing a new licence is same as explained above.
6. Please remember that grant of new licence depends on your eligibility.
• 1. Make an application for arms licence in form A .
2. Attach a consent letter of the licence holder with an affidavit on Rs. 20/- stamp paper.
3. Attach NOC from all legal heirs on a Rs.20/- stamp paper, duly notarized.
4. The remaining procedure is same as for procuring a new licence. 5. Please remember, grant of licence depends upon your eligibility, and not on the wishes of donor.
• 1. Submit an application in prescribed form for re-registration to the licensing authority (C.P./D.M.).
2. Attach a copy of the arms licence.
3. Attach residential proof.
4. NOC from the original licensing authority should also be attached. This NOC produced by the applicant is liable for a recheck from the concerned authorities directly.
5. A Police station report with remarks from the SDPO/SP should also be attached. On receiving the NOC and remarks, decision shall be taken by the licensing authority about re-registration
• 1. Make an application, explaining the reasons for your request, on a plain paper with Rs.5/- court fees stamp; to the licensing authority.
2. Attach a copy of Arms licence.
3. The application will be sent to the police station (having jurisdiction over the area of your place of residence) for enquiry.
4. On receipt of Police station report, you will be called for an interview.
5. The decision will be conveyed to you in writing through the Police station
• 1.Submit an application (explaining the reasons) to the Government of Maharashtra, Pol-IX, Home Department, Mantralaya, Mumbai with a copy of the licence.
2. The application will be sent to the Police station/Unit for an enquiry,
3. On receipt of the report, you will be interviewed by the appropriate authority.
4. The Government of Maharashtra will take the decision on merits and you will be informed accordingly.
• 1.Submit an application (on plain paper) with Rs.5/- court fees stamp and attach a copy of your licence.
2. Inform Arms and Ammunition Branch/DM with relevant documents.
3. If all documents are in order, sale permission will be issued.


“ लोकाभिमुख पारदर्शक कार्यसंस्कृती निमार्ण करणे ”

  02352 – 225 077
  02352 – 271 258

Keep in Touch